Hi everyone,

Treating patients with dignity is simple. Show them respect unless doing so harms their medical care. If a nurse doesn't know what a particular individual considers being respectful all he or she needs to do is ask the patient or, if necessary, their friends and family.

In the USA if a patient tells us they are in physical pain we accept their statement and treat accordingly. Emotional pain elicited by a disrespectful medical care environment should be handled in the same fashion.

Respect, incidentally, goes both ways. If a patient is mentally coherent and disrespectful to their nurse or other medical providers they shouldn't get a free ride. The "customer is always right" philosophy is almost always wrong as businesses that have tried it have found out.

Nerissa