My subject is iron and I cannot think of anything so early.  However, in the
18th century, the Swedish iron industry was to a significant extent financed
by advance sales of iron to Stockholm merchant houses, who in turn received
advances either from Dutch banks or English importing merchants, a
substantial part of the iron being effectively pre-ordered by steelmakers in
the Midlands and Sheffield.  Since the buyer owned the iron before it was
made under Swedish law, this enabled the English steelmakers to secure the
whole output of the best brands several years in advance.  Something similar
may have started to develop with cheap brands of Russian iron good enough to
make into nails.

Similarly, contracts for wood for charcoal  for ironmaking might involve an
advance payment to the landowner, but the ironmaster kept control, because
the men paid to cut and cole the wood were paid by him.  My best evidence on
this is late 17th century.  These transactions were expressed as contracts
for sale.

I think what you have found is a mechanism for the merchants to pay miners
(?) in the Dales to make the lead, but in this case the miners took the
money and failed to deliver the goods.  You should bear in mind that
Chancery bills tend to portray what were in fact comparatively innocent
commercial transactions that went wrong as a conspiracy against the
complainant.  Only when you see the Answer is it apparent that dealings were
not as evil as implied, or that the defendant had a legitimate excuse.
However you are dealing with a period before the start of the Decree and
Order books, and I do not think there is usually even a defence preserved
from that period; I may be wrong

Peter King
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,