Just to alert members to the latest posting on this topic on the Notes and Records ‘have your say forum’, from the Editor, Robert Fox:

“It seems that one motive for the ERIH initiative was the laudable one of raising the profile of journals that publish in languages other than English and in specialized areas that might be expected to attract modest readerships.  Those who have signed the petition, among whom are the editors of many such journals, are acutely sensitive to this problem. So too were the contributors to a wide-ranging discussion of the subject in the General Assembly of the European Society for the History of Science in Vienna in July. But one of the worst consequences of the ERIH, indeed of any conceivable system of grading, would surely be to reinforce the very hierarchy that seems to have concerned the ESF and that we all agree is damaging to our discipline. The ESF could have served our community in far better ways.  For example, rather than promoting the ERIH, it might more usefully have sponsored a data-base on which all the journals in the history of science, technology, and medicine, in Europe and beyond, could give essential information about their scope, editorial policies, and anything else they wished to publicize.  Such a data-base would facilitate precisely the non-judgemental diffusion of information that is the life-blood of our scholarly lives.”

The fuller discussion is available at http://publishing.royalsociety.org/index.cfm?page=1938

Regards

Phil

Phil Hurst

Publisher

tel  +44 (0)20 7451 2630

fax +44 (0)20 7976 1837

web royalsociety.org

The Royal Society

6-9 Carlton House Terrace

London SW1Y 5AG

Registered Charity No 207043

twenty ten and beyond | 350 years of excellence in science

The Royal Society's digital journal archive, spanning science research from 1665 to 2007, is free to access for a limited period. Visit http://publishing.royalsociety.org  for further details.

This email is sent on behalf of The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG, United Kingdom.

You should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The Royal Society accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses or interception or interruption of this email.

The contents of this email and any attachments are intended for the confidential use of the named recipient(s) only. They may be legally privileged and should not be communicated to or relied upon by any person without our express written consent. If you are not an addressee (or you have received this mail in error) please notify us immediately by email to: [log in to unmask]

 Registered charity no. 207043