Well, yes, that's exactly the point that John Harper has made, that it
could actually be a cheaper way of performing the office with some
elaboration but without the expense of a full choir.
We're not entirely convinced that either (a) the church we are studying
was likely to have had an organ or that (b) we could fit even the
smallest reconstruction in the space available - but as I said we are
doubtless going to have a good go over the issues in Saturday.

A more general point. Is it possible that we are over-estimating the
amount of skill and training needed for singing the Office, either as
plainchant or as polyphony? Because we belong to a different musical
tradition, because we have had to do so much academic work to recreate
late medieval polyphony, because it has become something for academics
and purists ... I wonder whether for singers brought up in that musical
tradition it may have been both easier and more flexible, with perhaps
not quite the high standards we are accustomed to expecting.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray, in the foothills of God's golden county of Gwent

Senior Lecturer in History

School of Education/Ysgol Addysg

University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd

Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT,
Wales/Cymru

 Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'I ask you for help. And all you give me is ...papers!'
(Magda in Gian Carlo Menotti's The Consul)

History at University of Wales, Newport: http://timezone.newport.ac.uk
Gwent County History Association website:
http://gwent-county-history-association.newport.ac.uk
Cistercian Way: http://cistercian-way.newport.ac.uk