From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of John Briggs
Sent: Sat 08/11/2008 11:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] misericords

Madeleine Gray wrote:

> But we both still have the impression that there is more available in
> England (and Wales) for misericords in very ordinary parish churches.

Actually, it is a bit of a mystery as to why misericords are to be found in
'very ordinary parish churches'. The presence of misericords strongly
implies the presence of a choir singing the Office, which seems a tad
unlikely for 'very ordinary parish churches'. But the woodwork can't all be
post-Dissolution imports. Equally mysterious is the fine set of contemporary
choirstalls in the early 16th-century private chapel at The Vyne
(Hampshire), which seem unaltered (although I worry about the hatpegs...)
even if they had been transferred from the Holy Ghost Chapel in Basingstoke
(as the stained glass appears to have been) - but they have fixed seats and
no misericords!

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]