What is the evidence for Saturninus of Toulouse having been an African?  There's no mention of that either in Marie-Odile Garrigues' lengthy entry on him in the _Bibliotheca Sanctorum_ (XII, 673-80) or in his brief Fasti notice by Patrice Cabau, "Les évêques de Toulouse (IIIe - IVe siècles) et les lieux de leur sépulture", _Mémoires de la Société Archéologique du Midi de la France_ 59 [1999], 123-62
and online here:
http://tinyurl.com/5febj7
As Cabau is the modern editor of S.'s very brief late antique Passio/Translatio, the _Opusculum de passione ac translatione sancti Saturnini, episcopi Tolosanae civitatis et martyris_ (ibid. 61 [2001]), it seems more than a little surprising that he would fail to mention this datum were it documented there.

Another certainly African St. Saturninus is the companion so named of Sts. Perpetua and Felicity.  And there are yet others.  Gian Domenico Gordini put it thus in his entry on the _Bibliotheca Sanctorum_ for Saturninus, Nereus, and companions (formerly in the RM under 16. October): "Si può solo sottolineare che il nome Saturnino fu molto commune in Africa e molti furono i martiri di questo nome."

Best,
John Dillon

On Saturday, November 29, 2008, at 3:04 pm, Maureen Tilley wrote:

> Saturninus seems to be a common name ancient North Africa where an
> indigenous divinity was venerated under the name of the Roman Saturn.
> In addition to Saturninus of Toulouse and S. of Carthage (d. ca.
> 200?), I mention Saturninus whose passio records his torture (but not
> his death) in the persecution under Diocletian. I have translated this
> story in a volume of Translated Texts for Historians, Donatist Martyr
> Stories: The Church in Conflict in Roman North Africa. Incidentally,
> though my translation is based on Donatist versions of his story,
> there are Catholic versions. S and his associates were venerated in
> both communities. Maureen A. Tilley

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]