I was just going to add: I know Marina Warner's 'Alone of all her sex: the myth and cult of the virgin mary' (my edition if Weidenfield and Nicholson 1976, but I believe it has been reprinted, perhaps several times, since) is the classic popular account. I have certainly found it enlightening on the kinds of questions you raise. But I do not know what academic opinion of it is, nor how outdated it has become.

Jon