John,
I went back to the article I read after your last posting, and much to my embarrassment, I see
that the calendar list I gave as belonging to the Painswick astrolabe was a composite list,
including both its calendar and that of another astrolabe in the British Museum, dating
c.1450.  The list does indeed list Alban on 20 June, clearly from what you say a mistake.

This would make the calendar given for the Painswick astrolabe (which is still probably
wrong, at least for February, which has four feasts listed):
1 Jan. Circumcisio Domini 6 Jan Epiphany 22 Jan Vincent  2 Feb Maria purificatio 10 Feb
Scolastica  22 Feb Petrus in cathedra in Antiochia 24 Feb Mathias 2 Mar Chad 12 Mar
Gregorius  25 Mar Maria annunciatio 4 Apr Ambrosius  19 Apr Alphegus  25 Apr Marcus 1
May Philippus 19 May Dunstanus 25 May Aldhelm  11 Jun Barnabas 20 [sic: 22] June
Albanus 29 Jun Petrus et Paulus 7 Jul Translatio S. Thome 20 Jul Margareta 25 Jul Jacobus
10 Aug Laurentius 15 Aug Maria assumptio 24 Aug Bartholomew 8 Sept Maria Nativitas 21
Sept Matthaeus 29 Sept Michal, archangel 9 Oct Dionysius 18 Oct Lucas 28 Oct Simon et
Judas 11 Nov Martinus 17 Nov Hugh of Lincoln 25 Nov Katerina 30 Nov Andreas 8 Dec
Maria conceptio 21 Dec Thomas 25 Dec Nativitas

That for the British Museum astrolabe (also possibly faulty) would be:
1 Jan. Circumcisio Domini 6 Jan Epiphany 13 Jan Hilarius 25 Jan Paulus conversion 2 Feb
Maria purificatio 14 Feb Valentine 22 Feb Petrus in cathedra in Antiochia 24 Feb Mathias 2
Mar Chad 12 Mar Gregorius 21 Mar Benedictus 25 Mar Maria annunciatio 4 Apr Ambrosius
14 Apr Tiburtius 23 Apr Georgius 25 Apr Marcus 3 May Inventio cruces 6 May Johannes ante
portam latinam 19 May Dunstanus  26 May Augustine of Canterbury 5 Jun Bonifacius 11 Jun
Barnabas 24 Jun Johannes Bapt. Nativitas 29 Jun Petrus et Paulus 7 Jul Translatio S.
Thome 15 Jul Swithinus 22 Jul Maria Magdalena 25 Jul Jacobus 1 Aug Petrus ad vincula 10
Aug Laurentius 15 Aug Maria assumptio 24 Aug Bartholomew 8 Sept Maria Nativitas 14 Sept
Sancte Crucis 21 Sept Matthaeus 29 Sept Michal, archangel 9 Oct Dionysius 13 Oct Edward
the Confessor translatio 18 Oct Lucas 28 Oct Simon et Judas 1 Nov Omnium sanctorum 11
Nov Martinus 25 Nov Katerina 30 Nov Andreas 6 Dec Nicholas 8 Dec Maria conceptio 21
Dec Thomas 25 Dec Nativitas

If anything, this makes the choices all the more mysterious to me.  Thanks, in any case, with
your help on this.
Cheers,
Jim

On 9 Nov 2008 at 1:54, John Briggs wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> jbugslag wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for this.  With respect to Alban on 20 June, could this
> > represent a slight shift to make room for a more locally important
> > saint on 22 June (I'm not aware of any possibilities, however)?
>
> No. If anything it would be the other way around: 20th June is the
> Translation of St Edward the Martyr. Do you have an illustration of
> the calendar? Otherwise I would suspect a mistake in the article. [I
> have just checked the Museum's catalogue - Alban is indeed marked
> correctly on 22nd June!]
>
> > And as for Frideswide, I thought of her, but as I mentioned, it
> > seems peculiar that there are no English female saints.
>
> English female saints don't really figure all that large in any
> calendar. But an Oxford one wouldn't omit her.
>
> > And why on earth would they have gone to all the trouble of putting
> > all of this on an astrolabe?
>
> Well, an astrolabe is concerned with time. It shows a map of the night
> sky at a particular time and date. If you know where you are, you can
> tell the time and date. If you know the time and date, you can tell
> where you are. You can cast horoscopes. It is not unreasonable to have
> a calendar.
>
> By the way, the Painswick Astrolabe is at Oxford, not the British
> Museum. I shan't be going there before early December, but I suppose I
> could have a look at it... Everyone latches on to it because it dates
> from c.1370 and so is probably nearest to Chaucer's treatise. [I have
> just looked at the Painswick Astrolabe on the Museum's website, and it
> has exactly *three* saints' days per month, giving 36 in total - not
> the 56 you listed. Where did that list come from?]
>
> John Briggs

> to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it
> to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the
> message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order
> to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask] For further information,
> visit our web site:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]