* With apologies for cross-posting *

TO ALL INTERESTED IN CATALOGUING EARLY PRINTED BOOKS: INTRODUCING
DCRM(B)

The UK Bibliographic Standards Committee of the CILIP Rare Books and
Special Collections Group proposes conducting a training session on
Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books) - DCRM(B) - to be held
in several locations in February/March 2009.

Unlike the 2007/8 workshops which were for existing users of DCRB and
focused on what they would find different in DCRM(B), the 2009 workshops
are aimed at those who are considering adopting - or have recently
adopted -  DCRM(B) from scratch. The sessions will describe the content
and implementation of DCRM(B), both general and copy-specific elements.
They are intended for those with some experience of cataloguing, but not
necessarily of rare books. A course prerequisite is some knowledge of
AACR2. Coverage will overlap with the sessions held in 2007/8 on
differences between DCRB and DCRM(B), so that attendants at the earlier
sessions are unlikely to benefit.

To help us plan, please could you email me at [log in to unmask]
by 30 November 2008 if you are interested, stating your geographical
location? We shall use the responses to plan where to hold the training
sessions.

As with other training events run by the Group, there will be a fee (to
be fixed when costs have been worked out).

Yours sincerely,

Dr Karen Attar
Rare Books Librarian
Senate House Library