2 websites will tell you all you need to know:

http://www.itsmarc.com/crs/map0001.htm

http://library.buffalo.edu/maps/mapresources/map_cat_tools.php

Cataloguing maps, especially older ones before Greenwich was agreed as
the international zero meridian, is very different from cataloguing
books and periodicals, old or new. I got my first stab at it last year
and, after initial nervousness, was glad of the opportunity.

Good luck and best wishes,

Bill Lehm.

Elizabeth Pinel wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone know of any short courses in antiquarian and/or modern map
> cataloguing? Or can you recommend any useful books?
>
> I’m just starting to catalogue maps and check previous records in our
> collection and I want to make sure I get it right!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> *Elizabeth Pinel*
>
> *Library Learning and Public Services Manager*
>
> Bishopsgate Institute
>
> 230 Bishopsgate
>
> London
>
> EC2M 4QH
>
> T 020 7392 9276
>
> F 020 7392 9275
>
> E [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
> W www.bishopsgate.org.uk <http://www.bishopsgate.org.uk/>
>
> **/Bishopsgate Institute: A Cultural Institute for London/***/
> **Sign up to our **/***/*e-mail l**i*
> <http://www.bishopsgate.org.uk/registration.asp>*s**t*
> <http://www.bishopsgate.org.uk/registration.asp>/****/ to receive
> regular updates about our courses, library and cultural events/**

> This message may contain privileged or confidential information and is
> intended for the named addressee. If you have received this message in
> error, please notify Bishopsgate Foundation & Institute by telephone on
> 020 7392 9200 (+44 20 7392 9200 from outside the U.K.). We reserve
> the right to monitor emails in accordance with all relevant
> legislation and
> we do not accept liability for any errors or viruses in this e-mail.

Bill Lehm
Special Collections
UCL Library Services

“History is a race between education and catastrophe” H. G. Wells.
Please do not print off this e-mail unless it is absolutely essential to do so.