Hello to everyone,

Indeed there should be no problems with different bit-strength in proxies.
I have tested 512 and 1024 bit proxies with most of the glite commands.

As far as ganga-UI_TAR-proxies are concerned:
Finally the problem was a bug in ganga (https://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/index.php?44185)
and not my configuration nor UI_TAR nor the bit strength.

However in order to get into a conclusion about the problem
we had to be sure that the proxies were ok!

thank you all for your responses and interest,
On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Oscar Koeroo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Vincenzo Ciaschini wrote:
> Hi to everyone:
>
> Asterios Katsifodimos wrote:
>> Hello Jan,
>>
>> On my UI_TAR(glite-UI-3.1.23-0):
>> globus_proxy_utils-0.17 : 512   bits
>> voms-proxy-* 1.8.3         : 512   bits
>>
>> On my super glite-UI (glite-UI-3.1.23-0):
>> globus_proxy_utils-0.17 : 512   bits
>> voms-proxy-* 1.8.8         : 1024 bits
>>
>> Any clue why this happens?
>> My original question, however, is: does size matter? (in terms of bits of
>> course!)
> The default key size was changed in 1.8.8 on request of the GSVG group,
> since a default key size of 512 bits was becoming way too weak for
> practical use.  See this bug: https://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?37704
> for details.  Note however that you must be a member of GSVG to get the
> details.
>
> To be honest, I do not see as this might constitute a problem with
> ganga, since the default libraries for the major languages are by
> default capable of working with this key size.
>
> In case of a real necessity, you can force a key size of 512 bits by
> adding the following option to the command line '--bits 512'.  Note
> however that using this is not advisable, and is strongly deprecated.
>
> Ciao,
>    Vincenzo

Too add background information to this topic:
In the past we've tried to figure out what the boundary conditions are
and found out that 4096 bits keys are not well supported in all default
libraries for the major languages, neither is 8192 keys or bigger. If
I'm not mistaken we had an issue with them in the Java space, triggered
by one or a few CAs that were using a 4k key length in the past. All
other key lengths didn't introduce a problem. Although not explicitly
tested by myself the 4k key length issues are solved.

With that in mind, I don't think the root of the problem is the key
length. Especially not with these sizes. You're allowed to mix and match
certificates with various key lengths to one chain.

There are lot of other things that can make a chain semantically
invalid. The most common these days is mixing GT2 and RFC proxies in one
chain.

cheers,

       Oscar

--