Leslie Carr wrote:
> Personally, I don't use facebook, but Stuart has made me think about
> what I environments I do use and where I spend all my time. To be
> honest, the answer is "email". If I had a repository deposit that worked
> by email then that would be very natural for me. I could email my
> documents as an attachment to "[log in to unmask]", and the
> repository would mail back an email form for me to fill out with the
> metadata.

Les,

I registered the domain eprintz.org and setup an email address
[log in to unmask] for exactly that purpose while at RepoCamp in July.
Haven't gotten around to doing ought else with it yet, but maybe one day...

In my (vapourware) version, you didn't enter a dialogue, but could
include optional metadata in the body of the email or as a second
attachment. Behind the scenes the system talks to all manner of lovely
Web services that do subject classification, identify entities - like
people - and fill in what they can too and you'd then get a confirmation
saying "Deposit with this metadata" complete and if you were unhappy
you'd have to visit the system to fix any problems.

Version 2.0 would be neater in that it wouldn't store anything at all.
It'd just recognise your email address - or even just the domain - and
match it to one or more SWORD endpoints and deposit in your IR on your
behalf.

Isn't there a JISC call out soon? ;-)

Pete Cliff
Research Officer, UKOLN