Message
Also the Lateran Treaty provided sovereignty for only a portion of what we now think of as Vatican territory, the rest (such as Castel Gandolfo and other spots in and out of the City) being limited to treatment as extra-territorial without transfer of sovereignty.
-----Original Message-----
From: International boundaries discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of irini.papanicolopulu
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:56 AM
To: Subject: Re: Maintaining the higher ground v. Stemming the Tide

Just a precisation: I think the case of the Vatican city is slightly different from that of other examples produced. The Vatican was a State that already occupied the territory were it is situated today, as well as much more. After the occupation of its whole territory by Italy, the Lateran Treaty provided for a "reitegration" of the Vatican State in a small portion of its former territory.
It does not seem like the Maldives (or other States in similar position) could have a similar claim.
Best wishes
Irini Papanicolopulu

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:09:20 -0000
 Devashish Krishan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Another example would be the Vatican City.  Territorial
>sovereignty is
> governed by Articles 3 and 4 of the Lateran Treaty which
>provide:
>
> "Article 3
> Italy recognizes the full ownership, exclusive dominion,
>and sovereign
> authority and jurisdiction of the Holy See over the
>Vatican as at
> present constituted, together with all its appurtenances
>and endowments,
> thus creating the Vatican City, for the special purposes
>and under the
> conditions hereinafter referred to.
>
> The boundaries of the said City are set forth in the map
>called Annex I
> of the present Treaty, of which it is forms an integral
>part.
>
> It is furthermore agreed that, although forming part of
>the Vatican
> City, St. Peter's Square shall continue to be normally
>open to the
> public and shall be subject to supervision by the
>Italian police
> authorities, which powers shall cease to operate at the
>foot of the
> steps leading to the Basilica, although the latter shall
>continue to be
> used for public worship. The said authorities shall,
>therefore, abstain
> from mounting the steps and entering the said Basilica,
>unless and
> except they are requested to do so by the proper
>authorities.
>
> Should the Holy See consider it necessary, for the
>purpose of special
> ceremonies, temporarily to prohibit the public from free
>access to St.
> Peter's Square, the Italian authorities shall (unless
>specially
> requested to do otherwise) withdraw to beyond the outer
>lines of
> Bernini's Colonnade and the extension thereof.
>
> Article 4
> The sovereignty and exclusive jurisdiction over the
>Vatican City, which
> Italy recognizes as appertaining to the Holy See, forbid
>any
> intervention therein on the part of the Italian
>Government, or that any
> authority other than that of the Holy See shall be there
>acknowledged."
>
> Relevant commentary is at:
>
> Herbert Wright, The Status of the Vatican City, 38 Am.
>J. Int'l L. 452
> (1944)
> Gordon Ireland, The State of the City of the Vatican, 27
>Am. J. Int'l L.
> 271 (1933).
>
>For background on the position of UNHQ, please see
>chapters IV and VII
> of Trygve Lie's memoir titled "In the Cause of Peace."
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Dev Krishan
>
> Devashish Krishan
> [...]

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

Farella Braun + Martel LLP