Dear all,
Please see below for a message from Hugh Compston; any replies directly to him at [log in to unmask]
With apologies for cross-posting -
Graeme

--------------------------------------

Dear colleague

This is to let you know that Turning Down the Heat: The Politics of Climate Policy in Affluent
Democracies, ed. Hugh Compston and Ian Bailey (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008) has just been published and
is available on Amazon and elsewhere in both hardback and paperback forms. It gives an overview of
the politics of climate policy in a number of affluent countries, but in particular is aimed at
identifying political strategies that would make it easier for national governments to implement
more radical climate policies without suffering significant political damage. It is designed to be
of use to researchers, students and those involved in policymaking, and fills a big gap in the
market.

CONTENTS
Introduction: Hugh Compston and Ian Bailey
PART 1 CONTEXT
1.      Climate Policy: Issues and Opportunities (Terry Barker)
2.      Political Science Perspectives on Climate Policy (Gary Bryner)
3.      The International Dimension of Climate Policy (Deborah Davenport)
PART 2 ANALYSIS
4.      The European Union and the Politics of Multi-Level Climate Governance (Chad Damro and Donald
McKenzie)
5.      Federal Climate Politics in the United States: Polarization and Paralysis (Paul Brewer and
Andrew Pease)
6.      Hot Air and Cold Feet: The UK Response to Climate Change (Nick Pidgeon, Irene Lorenzoni and
Tim O'Riordan)
7.      France: Towards an Alternative Climate Policy Template? (Joseph Szarka)
8.      German Climate Policy Between Global Leadership and Muddling Through (Axel Michaelowa)
9.      Conflict and Consensus: The Swedish Model of Climate Politics (Lars Friberg)
10.     Prometheanism and the Greek Energy Zugzwang (Iosif Botetzagias)
11.     Facing Up to the Greenhouse Challenge? Australian Climate Politics (Ian Bailey and Sam
Maresh)
12.     Explaining the Failure of Canadian Climate Policy (Douglas McDonald)
13.     Climate Policy in the USA: State and Regional Leadership (Allison M. Chatrchyan and Pamela
M. Doughman)
PART 3 CONCLUSIONS
14.     Political Strategy and Climate Policy (Hugh Compston and Ian Bailey)

Ian and I are very pleased with the book, and would like to thank all the contributors for their
efforts.

If you are not a contributor and would be interested in reviewing this book, please let me know,
with postal address, and I shall ask Palgrave to send you a copy.

Finally, I would be interested in any comments you may have on the book.

Regards,

Hugh Compston

Reader
Department of Politics