67 year old-chap normally fit and healthy presents with 2 week history of
constipation - very definite change of bowel habit. Would you refer on a
14-day wait? Bowels usually completely normal. NO co-codamol or anything
like that. Soft faeces sitting in rcetum - abdominal examination normal

The reason I ask is that my usual course of action would be to refer. The
centre that I normally refer to accepts just a letter and a 14-day request
sheet. The place that he wishes to go to has the rigid proforma that they
stick to - change of bowel habit persisting over 6 weeks. Am I wrong
referring this chap as a 14 day wait as until proven otherwise I would like
to exclude neoplasia. Should I be sending these patients away with a
laxative and just review in 6 weeks???

--
Best Wishes

Paul Bromley