Great minds think alike!   I have also been noticing that more and more
people seem to post to the whole list rather than the sender, and was
about to email as well.

What's the issue?

Some email lists, such as the Museums Computer Group, are set so that
hitting Reply sends to the whole list.

The GEM list is set so that Reply sends only to the sender.  This is
because the list has well over 1000 members, some of whom don't like
getting lots of mail that is not relevant to them.

I just phoned one of the people who replied to the whole list in
response to a query to ask why he did this and he said that because he
was reacting to a reply to the query.  The original sender's email was
not to hand, so hitting Reply All ensured the response would get back to
to original sender.

Some people also seem willing to reply only if they feel that others
will appreciate the fact that they taken the time to do so.   Also it
can be a way of reminding people you are still around offering certain
services or advice.   All this is understandable, and I wouldn't want to
reduce the chance of people hearing responses to their query.

So in summary: this is not a big deal, but it can be annoying when
everyone posts everything to the whole list.

So what should we do?

I suggest:

1.   When you ask for responses, please say "Reply off list to me"

2.  When you reply to someone, please Forward the message directly to
them.

Best wishes

Martin

GEM list owner