Firstly, go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_software_packages

which gives a pretty comprehensive list of open source solutions.

Image editing - the most capable open source package is The Gimp. If you can
cope with its idiosyncratic interface, it will do just about everything you
want.

Video editing - there's nothing open source that compares to the commercial
packages. VirtualDub is capapble, but it has a steep learning curve. I'd
recommend the "lite" versions of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. The latest
Serif offering (MoviePlus) is also worth a look.

Animation - the field is very wide. It depends what sort of animation you
want to do. 2D? Computer-generated 3D? Traditional photographic claymation?
All of these have dedicated open source packages. The most widely used Web
animation technology is Flash. There's very little in the open source world
that will output Flash animations, but there are some cheap alternatives
such as Swish.

Audio editing - Audacity is the most popular open source package. Again, a
slightly strange interface, but very capable.

Best wishes,

Paul Baker
Supreme Commander
Diabolus in Musica
Historical musicians in costume
Replica musical instruments and historical artifacts
Interactives, websites, audio & video work
www.diabolus.org