Regarding your second question about converting AFNI data to NIFTI, you can do this with 3dAFNItoNIFTI in the AFNI software package.

  3dAFNItoNIFTI -float dset+orig

The -float option forces the output to float which is useful if you have multiple sub-brick scale factors for 16-bit short integer data.

Also most AFNI programs can read and write NIFTI themselves, so 3dcopy can do this with

  3dcopy dset+orig dset.nii

Other programs create NIFTI output if the dataset prefix is specified with the .nii suffix. For example,

  3dcalc -a dset+orig -prefix dset.nii -expr 'a'

Regards,
Daniel Glen