Hi,

1 - You can use fslmaths to create large masks.  For instance:
	fslmaths inputimage -mul 0 -add 1 -roi 20 100 34 100 12 100 0 1
outputimage
      would create a 100x100x100 mask, starting at 20,34,12 in voxel
coords.
      You can also create spherical ones by using the -roi to create a
centre voxel
      and then apply a spatial filter with a spherical kernel.

2 - There isn't a command line way to do this, but you could do
something
	with matlab by loading in the text file and then using the save_avw
	command that you can find in $FSLDIR/etc/matlab (you need to use
	the addpath function in matlab to make sure it can also see the
supporting
	functions)

3 - You can print out any flirt cost function value as described in:
	http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0801&L=FSL&P=R14314&X=728B053B67CD2C87E9&Y=mark%40fmrib.ox.ac.uk

All the best,
	Mark