Regarding your second question about converting AFNI data to NIFTI,
you can do this with 3dAFNItoNIFTI in the AFNI software package.

   3dAFNItoNIFTI -float dset+orig

The -float option forces the output to float which is useful if you
have multiple sub-brick scale factors for 16-bit short integer data.

Also most AFNI programs can read and write NIFTI themselves, so
3dcopy can do this with

   3dcopy dset+orig dset.nii

Other programs create NIFTI output if the dataset prefix is specified
with the .nii suffix. For example,

   3dcalc -a dset+orig -prefix dset.nii -expr 'a'

Regards,
Daniel Glen