Knowledge.

All knowledge in its extremes ( excess) is destructive,

while abstinence is the remedy as in self humility.

http://theadvaita.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-10-26T11%3A24%3A00-07%3A00

From: bill harris <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:13:06 PM
Subject: Re: Is there a morale in Galdiator....

I, personally, am a big fan of reductionist trivia and non-epistemic inquiry.

And if I understand your definition of "Eastern tradition of story-telling" as that of extrinsic, karmic, morality divorced form human reason or experience, then I think that it totally sucks. Dharma is defeat.

I read the Mahabharata and the Ramayana prior to my year in India because I wanted some grasp of indigenous belief systems before I arrived. This is because my post-doc research was all about belief systems--or, ostensibly, how reductionist trivia and non-epistemic inquiry pass as received wisdom among the poor and illiterate of India.

By the same token, an Indian Anthropologist could come to Amerika and observe the same thing--with special reference, of course, to Hollywood as the myth-perpetrator that serves the same function as Brahmic priests in his/her own country.

Everywhere and at all times, for the uneducated moral references are found in ancient texts. Stories, then, relate back to the truth of said texts by way of narrative illustration.

Likewise,  in both east and west the educated demand more. Theirs is an open-endedness towards the narrative as both a questioning of said texts and an ignoring of them as a point of reference.

Popular Amerikan culture has embraced Indo-Chinese mumbo-jumbo because their own priests of culture have been defeated. When The Pope becomes irrelevant, there's always Mister Lama, Dahli or Ganesha to satisfy that socially driven "inner" spiritual need. After all, Yoga's not just for exercise anymore!

Namaste, Bill