Call for Papers

RN22 Sociology of Risk and Uncertainty

at the

9th Conference of the European Sociological Association

European Society or European Societies?

University of Lisbon, September 2nd-5th, 2009

(http://www.esa9thconference.com/)

The topic of the 9th Conference of the European Sociological Association is "European Society or European Societies?" The event aims to explore whether we can look at European society as an increasingly cohesive entity or whether divisions of nation, class, ethnicity, region, gender and so on continue to be more salient.

These issues are particularly important for the experiences and management of risk and uncertainty, whether it is about the responses and management of terrorism, climate change, the life course, intimate relationships, or health and illness. We would like to discuss such issues in national as well as in comparative perspective. However, the session stream is also a place to explore other recent developments in theorizing and research on risk and uncertainty.

For this conference we would like to group sessions around specific risks (such as terror, death, intimate relationship) rather than specific approaches or areas (such as health and illness, media, crime). The idea is to create sessions which produce comprehensive overviews about a specific topic rather than a specific approach to improve our understanding of the regulation, perception and responses to specific risk issues such as terrorism, nuclear power or welfare. Therefore the list of topics listed below is still open:

Terrorism, International Terror

War, Security and Combat

Climate Change

Nuclear Power/Technological risks

Genetically Modified Food/Biotechnologies

Financial Crises

Internet/ICT

High Risk Organisations - Safety Culture

Hospitals & Health Service

Inequality in Health and Illness

HIV/Aids

Food Safety

Vaccination

Death and Dying

Surveillance

Probation / Rehabilitation

Pathways into and out of Crime

Mental Health

The Life Course

Youth Transitions

Retirement / Pensions

Work

Intimate Relationships

Welfare State

Globalisation

Migration

Capitalism/Liberalism

Methodologies of Risk Research

Theorizing Risk - Different Approaches

Please send an abstract no longer than 500 words by 30th November 2008 to Jens Zinn at: [log in to unmask]