dear colleagues

apologies if this is of no interest or relevance

also apologies for any cross postings

you may remember a while ago I posted a request for a number of D/deaf co-
researchers.  as the co-researchers are anonymous to me, I do not know if
anyone from this jiscmail participated.  this message is to say thank you if
you did participate or passed on my message to someone else who was
eligible.

here are some initial findings:
9 co-researchers took part
over 200 postings were added
the most popular time to post messages was between 5pm and 6pm
the least popular time was between 8pm and 9pm

statements from co-researchers:
1  it is important to have one or two regular notetakers - this is for continuity
and for D/deaf learners to build up a rapport with support staff
2  there is a clear distinction between qualified notetakers and other
students who are employed as notetakers - this is generally because they
have not been trained adequately (if at all), they often contribute to
discussion (unethical) and the notes are often incomplete
3  the co-researchers would like the opportunity to meet their notetakers
before lectures start - this is to ensure the notetaker has enough knowledge
and that the learner will be able to build rapport/friendship

the initial finding will be presented at the SRHE postgraduate conference in
december and myself and yana (my ICT advisor) will try and get the paper
published in a journal in the next few months

if you have any questions, please email either on or off list
once again, many thanks if you played a part in this phase of the study - after
all, it is the D/deaf learners who are the experts in how to provide their notes

kind regards
melanie

Melanie Thorley
*AspireAbility Project Worker