-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lynne Farquharson
Sent: 27 November 2008 10:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: fire alarms for deaf students

Could anyone let me know how deaf students at their institutions sort
out personal fire alarms when they are living off campus?

I'm talking about a device in their own room which will respond
appropriately to the communal smoke/fire alarm in their shared
house/flat.

If the property belongs to a private landlord, who takes responsibility
for installation and cost?  Is there any involvement with local social
services?

If a non-permanent solution is found (i.e. one that the student can take
and use elsewhere) does the student have to pay for that.

Last question - which transferrable device, in your experience, does the
best & safest job?

Thank you to anyone who could offer help here.

Lynne

Lynne Farquharson
Disability adviser
Student Wellbeing Service (Disability Support) Newcastle University
1/2 Claremont Terrace
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 4AE
Direct tel: 0191 222 7699