-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter J Halls
Sent: 05 November 2008 07:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Jaws

John,

     if the document contains significant equations or other mathematical
material, the source is most likely to be TeX, or one of its derivatives,
rather
than Word / OpenOffice Writer ... and, in such cases, there can be no .doc
or
.rtf format.  In this case, PDF is pretty much the only (nearly) accessible
format available.  So far as I can see, we are a long way from achieving
accessible maths.

Peter

John Conway wrote:
> Well said.
>
> even truly accessible PDF are inaccessible to dyslexics who cannot change
font face or colour schemes!  One such student has just had to have a reader
in an exam solely because the document supplied for use during the exam was
only available as a PDF image and so she could not read it.

> surely it should be obligatory to supply the Word or RTF version????
>

> Dr John S Conway BSc PhD FGS FRGS FHEA MNADP
> Director, MSc International Rural Development
> Director, BSc Countryside Management
> Chair, Research Committee
> Principal Lecturer : Soil Science
> Disability Officer
> Royal Agricultural college, Cirencester, Glos GL7 6JS
> 01285 652531 fax 01285 650219
>
> ________________________________

major factors being overlooked. First of all, even if the alternative
technology such as Thunder can be loaded onto a memory stick, not all Jaws
users will want to be having to use technology which is not as useful or
flexible as Jaws, and will not want to have to learn how to use this new
software. Secondly, even with a PDF file which is readable using Jaws, they
are still a pain in all sorts of places  as it is really difficult to
actually search say for a specific word in the document and even if you can
get over that hurdle, there is then no way of actually marking what you have
found or adding any notes for future reference. Speaking as a Jaws user, as
might be obvious, I think When told that something is only available in PDF
the response should always be that it is required in Word or RTF etc and
this is a reasonable adjustment and just having to cope with a PDF version
is not acceptable. Rant ove
r!