Hi

By not attending lectures the student will never develop any strategies for
learning. Whether they use electronic, manual notetakers, or lipspeakers
etc. - access is always going to be something that the student and the
tutors are working on. It is never going to be prefect but you need to get
to a point where it feels like you can pass the course.

Best wishes

Ember

--On 10 November 2008 10:55 +0000 Michael Woodman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> Wonder if anybody could offer any advice re: supporting a Biomedical
> Sciences student with profound hearing loss who doesn't use BSL, but
> relies entirely on lip-reading.
>
> Despite our attempts to make lectures as accessible as possible, the
> student finds it extremely difficult to get anything of use from
> lectures. He uses a radio mic to support what hearing he does have, but
> this clearly isn't enough. He has requested that he no longer attends
> lectures, and that his note-taker support attends instead, as he feels
> this will be a better use of his time.
>
> Academic staff have actually agreed to this in the short term while we
> figure out a different solution, but it isn't ideal.  His note-taker is
> uncomfortable with this, and it's clear he is missing out on any student
> / lecturer  interaction that take place in these lectures.
>
> One suggestion was that lectures are recorded for the student, and then
> subtitled.  This would be a  large undertaking but  might it be
> reasonable? Does anybody else have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michael Woodman
> Disabilities Coordinator
> Registry, Hunter Wing,
> St. George's, University of London,
> Cranmer Terrace, Tooting,
> SW17 0RE.
>
> www.sgul.ac.uk/disability
>
> Tel: 020 8725 0143
> Fax: 020 8725 0841

Dr Ember Kelly
Communication & Support Services Coordinator
Access Unit for Deaf and Disabled Students
University of Bristol, 4th Floor, Union Building
Queens Road, Clifton, Bristol BS8 1LN
Minicom: 0117 9545731 (text only)
Mobile: 07717 360868 (SMS text only)  Fax: 0117 923 8546
E-mail: [log in to unmask]