-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Turner, Paddy
Sent: 10 November 2008 11:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Accessibility of lectures for student with hearing loss

Hi Michael,
When we found a student in a similar position a few years back, we
started the process of creating an electronic note-taking (ENT) service.
We copied the idea from the RNIDs Speedtext service which wasn't
appropriate for our use at that time. (see:
http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_resources/factsheets/communication/fa
ctsheets_leaflets/working_with_an_electronic_notetaker.htm)
This development went on to become Stereotype and is now an independent
business, see this site for more info:
http://www.stereotypenotetakingsoftware.com/software.html

The student concerned was missing everything, de-motivated and
contemplating withdrawal. He now has an excellent job in his chosen
career following a 2:1.

Verbatim solutions can also be tried but they should come with warnings
regarding the expense, availability and problems with miscues. Using
voice to text solutions such as Dragon linked to the tutors mic have not
been satisfactorily tested but given the training required with the
tutor and the likelihood that several tutors will have to undergo this,
it doesn't appear very practical to us either.

We've now been using ENT successfully for something like 8 years and it
is no coincidence that the Universities with high numbers of deaf
students, Wolverhampton, UCLan, Bristol for example, all use some form
of ENT - because it works!

Good luck
best wishes
Paddy