Thanks for all the suggestions.

If I would try to accelerate the formation of the crystals by microseeding, do you think these soft/non-diffractionable crystals can help?

Deliang

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sanishvili, Ruslan
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] off-topic: soft crystals?

Hi Deliang,

I have an experience with soft crystals:

I used to work with a protein which crystallized fine and diffracted fine. However, after opening the crystallization well few times, crystals turned soft and they stopped diffracting. If I remember correctly, letting crystals sit for a long time (without opening the wells) also caused “softening” of crystals. I suspected polymerization but did not experiment with it. Adding huge amounts of reducing agent helped preserve the “hardness” of crystals little longer. Transferring the crystallizations experiments into the cold room also helped.

Bottom line is that soft crystals didn’t diffract.

Good luck,

Nukri

Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.

GM/CA-CAT, Bld. 436, D007