On Nov 11, 2008, at 16:12, Tim Gruene wrote:

> Hi Jorge,
>
> using a system where you can cleave off the His-tag (with TEV,
> FactorX, etc) adds a purification step which is complementary to the
> first purification step (Ni-column etc). In my experience this
> results in very pure protein which makes it more likely to
> crystallise.

3C protease seems to work really well and would recommend it over TEV
or FX.
One could look at the His-SUMO tag ideas for alternative idea for
cleavage and some aid in solubilization.

> Therefore I would always choose such a system and not spend much
> time on trying to crystallise the protein with the His-tag attached.

If you have the His-protein always try to crystalize it. We got one
very nice structure with a His-zipper from the Tag helping to form the
lattice.
Consider the no-tag as yet another alternative for crystallization
trials - but if that does not work cleave it !

	A.