Hi all,
I have a number of low-ish resolution data sets that show a strange B-factor behaviour:
All are just better than 3AA resolution, collected on a strong synchrotron beamline. Some, yet not tremendous radiation decay.
Wilson scaling, obviously not very reliable at this resolution, gives me a Wilson B of about 40, already a low number. Refinement in refmac5 (5.5.0053) with individual B-factors refinement leads to an average B factor of around 16 with several individual B factors hitting the B=2 limit...
When I convert Is to Fs in truncate simply using the square root, things get even a bit worse, the average B now is 14.
When I try to do an overall B-factor refinement, still individual B-factors appear in the output file.

refinement details: 2.8AA resolution,medium ncs for two ncs related chains, no riding hydrogens, simple scaling, MKLF target, isotropic B factors
Rwork: 0.206, Rfree=0.286, bonds=0.018, angles=1.89 ... obviously I could retrain a bit more...

Any ideas how to handle this? Basically, my question is: how do I get the overall B factor to realistic numbers?
Thanks a lot for any hints

Jan
--
Jan Abendroth