From: Mischa Machius <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 8:01 am
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Crystallographic computing platform recommendations?

After having dealt, over the years, with several dozens of 'crystallographic computing platforms' and having setup and maintained quite a few myself, I would recommend to not be cheap. I would recommend to go with well supported hardware and OS. For linux, I would recommend a commercial solution, and the hardware could come from a vendor such as Dell. In our lab, we use Macs practically exclusively, except for a few legacy Linux boxes.?
?

I don't think it is worth saving a few hundred dollars when you end up spending/wasting so much time down the road assembling and fixing the machine as well as trying to keep up with the latest OS patches and drivers. I'd rather spend my time doing something else than being a computer support person. I realize I am not using the latest, greatest, pimped-out number-crunching monster, but a quad-core Mac is plenty sufficient. I like the fact that a refinement takes a few minutes longer, because that gives me time to fetch a cup of coffee or chat with a colleague.?
?

Just a thought.?
?

Best - MM?
?

?

>> Dear list,?

>> I haven't seen the "crystallographic computing platform" thread come?

>> up for a while, and I've got a chance to upgrade my desktop to a?

>> workstation, so I thought I'd ask the CCP4BB for advice on:?

>>?

>> 1. Mac vs. Linux (which flavor?) vs. Windows?

>> 2. Graphics cards?

>> 3. Displays?

>> 4. Processors - multiple processors, multiple cores? Speed??

>>?

>> About half of what I do involves ~1.0 A X-ray structures - data?

>> processing, rebuilding in Coot, refinement, and so forth - so my?

>> current desktop (Optiplex GX745, Radeon X1300) machine drags on?

>> graphics sometimes. I don't seem to need stereo these days, for what?

>> it's worth.?

>>?

>> Anybody have suggestions or specs they'd like to share? Thanks in?

>> anticipation of your advice.?

>>?

>> Regards,?

>> Anna Gardberg?

>?
?

Mischa Machius, PhD?

Associate Professor?

Department of Biochemistry?

UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas?

5323 Harry Hines Blvd.; ND10.214A?

Dallas, TX 75390-8816; U.S.A.?

Tel: +1 214 645 6381?

Fax: +1 214 645 6353?