Axel:

Um... it works fine for us.  I just tested it about 10 seconds ago
(names have been changed to protect the guilty):

me@linuxbox> ssh myaccount@macclient
Password:
macclient:~ myaccount$ pwd
/Network/Servers/osxserverbox.some.domain/afp/myaccount
macclient:~ myaccount$ echo $HOME
/Network/Servers/osxserverbox.some.domain/afp/myaccount

This is OS X Server 10.5.5 and a 10.5.5 client, with an extremely vanilla
configuration.  After fighting the setup for two days to try to get it
to mount somewhere *other* than /Network/Servers/blahblahblah, I left
it alone and put in the following link on the client (we only have one,
but could have more without any problems, as far as I can tell):

/people -> /Network/Servers/osxserverbox.some.domain/afp

And:

macclient:~ myaccount$ df -h
Filesystem                                Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2                             465Gi   24Gi  441Gi     6%    /
devfs                                    107Ki  107Ki    0Bi   100%    /dev
fdesc                                    1.0Ki  1.0Ki    0Bi   100%    /dev
map -hosts                                 0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /net
map auto_home                              0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /home
map -fstab                                 0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /Network/Servers
trigger                                    0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%    /Network/Servers/osxserverbox.some.domain/afp
afp_05oXza0007Ge0000oM0000VU-1.2d00003a  298Gi   82Gi  216Gi    28%    /Network/Servers/osxserverbox.some.domain/afp

I think this "homedir mounting" feature is a function of using OSX Server,
rather than vanilla OS X, to do the AFP exporting, which is why we are
using Server.

Best,

--
Steve Lane
System, Network and Security Administrator