Tilla:
 >"Perhaps it's to do with different starting points - between
starting with an
apprehension of the real and using poetry as a medium as opposed to
starting
with the medium itself and seeing what reality it finds?"<

I think that's too simplistic Tilla, but yes, I understand what you're
saying. The problem is that I cannot see that as a starting point. An
'apprehension of the real', or an apprehension of the unreal or the
imaginary or whatever, is universal. I don't think anybody actually
starts out with 'the medium itself', not in the sense that I think you
mean. But you've got me wondering.....

The genesis of poetry in us as individuals is a highly complex thing.
It is also something extremely difficult to track. Not a good
combination if we are trying to GO BACK. And of course this medium or
apprehension of the real opposition tends to send us off into
psychological considerations when, probably, it is their interaction
with cultural influences that is the key. I have for a long time been
very interested in what it was that made some of us go in the poetical
direction we did, and not a different one.

Tim A.