Have you considered some of the communication aids, they have a truly finger touch screen and can run software to produce on-screen-keyboards of any design or layout.

eg  http://store.prentrom.com/cgi-bin/store/VG2-AEN-MORE.html

or http://www.dynavoxtech.com/products/v/

or  http://www.pri-liberator.com/products/liberator-14.aspx

or  http://www.smartboxat.com/powerbox.html

They are a tad expensive though, but more rugged than your average laptop.

Hope this helps.

Geoff Harbach
LEPMIS