Message posted on behalf of Sue Worrall, Head of Special Collections, Library Services, University of Birmingham

I would be grateful if colleagues could pass on the following information to anyone who may be intending to visit Special Collections at the University of Birmingham. Many thanks.

The University is currently in the process of developing a new facility for Special Collections which will bring all of the collections, public service and conservation facilities together at the heart of the main Edgbaston campus into one purpose built space spread over three floors. Our new accommodation will be completed by Summer 2009 and includes exhibition facilities, a seminar room for up to 30 people and research space together with an estimated 10 years expansion space for collections, two purpose built storage areas for archives and rare books, a reprographics suite, staff accommodation and a purpose built conservation studio. The new facility forms part of a refurbishment of Muirhead Tower, one of the University’s large iconic and easily recognizable buildings on the main Edgbaston campus.

Staff in Special Collections have been working for some time to prepare all of the rare book and archive collections for the move. In order to facilitate the preparation process and to reduce closure times needed during and after the move itself Special Collections will close to researchers on Mondays from 5th January 2009.

Our opening hours will be;

Monday – Closed

Tuesday 9am – 5pm

Wednesday 9am – 5pm

Thursday 9am – 7pm

Friday 9am – 5pm

Closure periods have not yet been set for the move but as soon as these have been finalised, the dates will be publicised on our website at http://www.special-coll.bham.ac.uk/Muirhead.shtml

We now advise anyone who is planning to visit between March and October 2009, especially those traveling long distances, to contact us in advance to check on our opening hours and the availability of collections as we prepare for our move and for the re-launch of our service in our new facility

If you would like any further information please contact Special Collections on Tel 0121 4145839 or Email [log in to unmask].

Regards

Sue Worrall

Tel: 0121 414 6066

http://www.special-coll.bham.ac.uk/