RE: Disability disclosure rate

Dear All,

Further to Moira’s email on the Commission for Disabled Staff in Lifelong Learning. I managed this Commission in my previous job at NIACE.  There were 47 recommendations, for the whole sector,  in the final report. A summary of which can be accessed below:

http://www.niace.org.uk/projects/commissionfordisabledstaff/Default.htm

Eleven key recommendations have been selected by the Lifelong Learning Sector Skills Council, along with government and representative agencies, to be central to improving the sectors performance on disabled staff.  These eleven recommendations will be launched shortly in the form of a public commitment that all lifelong learning related organisations will be asked to sign up to.  The current web page is linked below.  I will send further details around once the ‘Commitment’ is fully launched.

http://www.lluk.org/disability-equality-commitment.htm

This is along winded way of responding to your email Fehmeeda! It is hoped that by improving the experiences of disabled staff that disclosure rates might also improve as an indirect consequence.

Best wishes

Christine

Dr Christine Nightingale,

Equality and Diversity Adviser,