On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:14 AM, Morgan Leigh wrote:

> Regarding the profit motive of journals, I honestly feel they are
> taking
> two bites of the cherry. Yes it costs to make a journal, but they
> charge
> authors to submit and they charge subscribers for access.

Which journals charge authors to submit? I have not encountered
such a thing in the field of religious studies.

> And they want
> the copyright so they can try to make more money later. The process of
> ranking journals as a means to assess academics for employment is thus
> flawed. The journals are not in it for the good of the academy.
> They are
> in it to make profit.

Yes, because I as editor and (sometimes) designer and production
editor do expect to be paid! And the printer expects to be paid.
And so on.

> Therefore it is in their interests to allow free
> dissemination of ideas and it is in their interests to only accept
> papers that many peers will agree with.

That sentence makes no sense to me. We allow the
dissemination of ideas -- but only ones that pass peer review --
is that what you are saying?
> \
> As far as I am concerned this is a feature. One great advance of the
> web, and of things like wikipedia in particular, is that people are
> aware from the get go that information is contested.\

Yes, and all it takes is one person to "squat" on an entry
and engage in endless "revert wars" to pollute the entry for everyone.
See, for example, this comment from a writer who lives adjacent
to the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana:
http://prairiemary.blogspot.com/2008/11/trust-wikipedia-hahahaha.html

Waiting for enlightenment,

Chas S. Clifton, editor

The Pomegranate: The International Journal of Pagan Studies
http://www.equinoxjournals.com/ojs/index.php/POM
alternate email: [log in to unmask]