On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Coles, J (Jeremy) wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Further to the mention/discussion at yesterday's UKI meeting of having
> several gLite WN versions on a WN, please see this link for the current
> proposal: https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/EGEE/ParallelMWClients.
>
> Any comments?

I suggested something along the proposed lines, of publishing the WN
metapackage version as a software tag.

Having only just got round to playing with 64-bitness, I've found a bit of
a flaw: the 32-bit and 64-bit flavours of the same WN update have
completely different version numbers!

e.g. for 32-bit middleware,
	16.10.2008 - 3.1 Update 34
	glite-WN   	 3.1.21-0

but on 64-bit
	16.10.2008 - 3.1 Update 34
	glite-WN   	 3.1.9-0

Of course, the latter looks somewhat familiar, as in 32-bit-land we've
already had
	07.04.08 - 3.1 Update 18
	glite-WN   	 3.1.9-0

As this still seems to me to be the sanest way to do this (publishing
software environment details in
GlueHostApplicationSoftwareRunTimeEnvironment !!!) I think the middleware
versioning will need to be made uniform across platforms...

Thanks

Henry

--
Dr. Henry Nebrensky                     [log in to unmask]
                             http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~eesrjjn