Thanks John. Sustainable procurement and its local/global implications is something we all need to think about - and a real challenge when the focus is often so sharply on the bottom line.
Not related to procurement but inextricably linked, is understanding the implications of climate change ondevelopment and poverty -
Christian Aid has some interesting work that sets out further justification for why we have to get to grips with SD

-----Original Message-----
From: Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Forster
Sent: 23 October 2008 11:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Promoting poverty aware procurement on campus

As a new list member, and to introduce myself want to draw your attention to, and stimulate debate about,  this new DFID funded project being managed
by me for the EAUC.    and see
http://www.eauc.org.uk/promoting_poverty_aware_procurement_on_campus

Centred mainly on institutions in N England and Scotland this project aims to encourage FHE to be more aware of, and take more accout of, the poverty/development implications of  procurement/purchasing decisions.  This would include curriculum issues (e.g. ethical fashion, or beauty courses in FE), but particularly would be concerned with decisions being made about the functioning of the institution - e.g. what are the consequences of paper/pulp purchasing from the tropics/sub-tropics on the well-being of the local people
involved in cultivation and manufacture?   Or timber being used for a new build
may be sustainably certified, but what does this imply about the impacts on the commmunity from which it is being sourced?

 And then we are going on to explore the procurement processes that would enable poverty/development issues to be regularly taken into account when decisions are being made.

I am struck when reading the recent literature about institutions and their global role, that this dimension of their interaction with the rest of the world seems not to get a mention - (though there are references to the fact that globalisation affects the catering fucntion because it must make sure that the menus cater for overseas students).

So my hope in posting this two fold:

To stimulate you to get your institution involved in the project if your are in Scotland or Northern England, and

To get some feedback from you about how the global citizenship agenda in institutions can be expanded to embrace the "trade" relations that HE has with the developing world

John Forster

The UK's no. 1 new university
The Guardian University Guide 2009