Dear SPMers, and especially VBMers,

Sorry for bothering with a probably dummy question, I'm just a beginner and have limited knowledge of Matlab/SPM. I hope you can help me, as I have checked the email list and couldn't find any specific help for my problem.

I've been using/getting trained myself in SPM2 for around a year and I've used Gaser's VBM2 toolbox for around 6 months to analyze cross-sectional T1-weighted MRI images, with no problem to date. I have all the recent updates, I'm running the most recent version of SPM2 in Matlab 6.5.0.1.

However, I have started to analyze some images for which I want to get lateralization indexes to ultimately map areas where lateralization differences are significant, as in the examples in the Luders et al Neuroimage 2004 paper, page 661.

I have a group of T1-weighted analyze files for which I generated a customized template using your toolbox. This step was done fine but when I moved to the segmenting step: 'Segment>Cross-sectional data asymmetry: calculate lateralization index', after selecting the raw images, the customized templates and the defaults (HMRF weighting: 0.3; cutoff spatial normalization: 25mm; Nonlinear regularization: 1; Nonlinear iterations: 16), I get this error message (below), which is independent of changing the directory of where SPM2 folder is located or whether I use customed or default templates. It seems it's creating a file called tp030978.img, which I can visualize well using the Display buttom... Could anybody provide me with some clue of what could be the problem and why this step is not going fine? I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
miguel

Miguel Alonso, MD, neurologist

SPM2: spm_vbm2 (vv1.07)                            13:02:30 - 16/10/2008
SPM2: spm_imcalc_ui (v2.7)                         13:03:09 - 16/10/2008
Warning: Invalid directory: writing to current directory
> In C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\spm2\spm_imcalc_ui.m at line 143
  In C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\spm2\toolbox\vbm2\cg_vbm_lat_index.m (cg_make_symmetrical) at line 274
  In C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\spm2\toolbox\vbm2\cg_vbm_lat_index.m at line 103
    * - SPM2: spm_vol  -------------------------------------------------
        Error reading information on:
                ..OCUME~1\Elke\LOCALS~1\Temp\tp030978.img

        Please check that it is in the correct format.
??? Error using ==> spm_vol (subfunc1)
Can't get volume information for 'C:\DOCUME~1\Elke\LOCALS~1\Temp\tp030978.img'
Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\spm2\spm_vol.m (subfunc2)
On line 51  ==>  V = subfunc1(P);
Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\spm2\spm_vol.m
On line 37  ==> V = subfunc2(P);
Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5\toolbox\spm2\toolbox\vbm2\cg_vbm_lat_index.m
On line 104  ==> VG1 = spm_vol(PG1);
??? Error while evaluating uimenu Callback.