This is one piece of published evidence...

A Quantitative Evaluation of Cross-Participant Registration Techniques for MRI
Studies of the Medial Temporal lobe

Michael A. Yassa, Craig E.L. Stark

PII: S1053-8119(08)01022-7
DOI: doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2008.09.016
Reference: YNIMG 5703
To appear in: NeuroImage

There will be more to come - eventually.

Best regards,
-John