Dear Eleni,

Fieldtrip struct is not supposed to be imported with the 'Convert'
button (spm_eeg_convert), but using the function spm_eeg_ft2spm in
your script. This is stated quite clearly in the manual. The file
mafdeMspm8_example.mat is an SPM8 file and it is not supposed to be
converted, although it can be so the error should not actually happen.
It can happen however if you for instance save something other than
SPM's D struct in this file. You can just load this file directly in
3D source reconstruction, DCM or reviewing..

Best,

Vladimir