Dear Kelly,

This is the same error message than Juergen a few days ago:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0810&L=spm&P=17060

The explanation in his case was a problem in the installation of the
updates with MacOS using drag'n'drop. The solution was to use the
command line, as described here:
http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/software/spm8b/#Updates

Could it be also the explanation of your own problem?

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Flandin, PhD