Hi Vivien

The answer to the question depends on what you are using the temporal
derivative for.  For example, many people include the temporal
derivative at the single-subject level to reduce unexplained variance
in the data, but still focus on the canonical HRF for all analyses.
In this case, it is perfectly valid to perform 2nd-level t-tests on
the contrasts including the canonical HRF.

If you're interested in the temporal derivative information at the
group level, you can include it in an F test.  You can't bring
single-subject F tests to the group level; you have to enter the
relevant con* files in a second level F test directly.  Of course, the
results of this F test might be hard do determine, as in a typical
case you would know there is a significant effect of the canonical
response OR the temporal derivative, but not which.

Alternately, if you are interested in using the temporal derivative to
investigate differences in latency of hemodynamic response, you may
want to refer to Henson et al (2002)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/nimg.2001.0940 .  If you are interested in
using the temporal derivative to better model the hemodynamic
response, you might try Calhoun et al (2004)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2003.12.029 .

As far as I know there are no differences in how the temporal
derivative is incorporated between SPM2 and SPM5...I'm sure someone
will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.

Jonathan