Compiled mex files for Intel Mac were only included in Revision 774 of SPM5,
and were not a part of the original release (Revision 352).  I would suggest
downloading and installing the updates on top of your SPM5 version (see
http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/software/spm5/#Bugs ).

Best regards,
-John