Bill, that's a pretty interesting take on Redcrosse.  For me, it makes
sense because I think part of his struggle is to transform his faith
from a joyless deathwish into an affirmation of life.  I see this as
present from the beginning, in the ambiguities of "dead as living ever
him adored":  like Duessa, there's part of RC that images the savior
as a corpse and worships his death.  And since RC is, for most of the
book, named after the bloody cross that serves as an icon of that
death, there are strong suggestions that his attachment to the savior
is a kind of melancholy incorporation of the crucified body.

Broadly speaking, I believe that the most interesting approach to Book
I goes straight to its theology, even at an introductory level.  Not
as static doctrine, but as the language in which early modern
Christians thought through issues to which we might give other names,
using the terms of psychoanalysis or phenomenology.  If you look back
at Harry Berger's mid-60s essay on Book I, you see that he thought so,
too:  he's analyzing the allegory in terms borrowed from Reformation
theology.

David