Besides demonstrating a more sophisticated use of allegory than what
students will have seen in *Everyman* or *Second Shepherd's*, I stress
Spenser's method of instructing the reader how to read as well as the
disconnect between *seeming* and *being*. This allows us to look at
Redcrosse as in process of becoming Holiness, and not necessarily there yet.

I've also found an increasing lack of familiarity with the religious
background, including things as basic as differences between Catholicism and
Protestantism. Students will get the Una/Redcrosse/Archimago confrontation,
and love the Seven Deadlies, but they'll completely miss the significance of
Abessa/Corceca/Kirkrapine and the repeated occurrences of Pride beyond
Lucifera.

Jean Goodrich
University of Arizona