Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:

Marine Geophysicist

Wessex Archaeology has been developing its capacity to undertake archaeological investigations in inland, coastal and marine environments for over a decade, and is a recognised leader in these sectors. To meet continuing demand for our services by seabed developers, and to build upon a series of strategic projects for public authorities we are seeking to appoint a Marine Geophysicist, initially for a fixed-term of six months.

Applicants will be required to complete the Company application form and supply a supporting CV. Applications should be sent in by 12:00 noon Friday 31st October 2008. Interviews are planned for the week beginning 10th November 2008.

The appointment will be made within the following pay scales:

Pay Scale 5                                   SP22-28 (£19,387 - £23,422)

Pay Scale 4                                   SP18-21 (£16,954 - £18,895)

We welcome applications from people with the aptitude and aspiration to develop their career in archaeological geophysics. Relevant degrees/higher degrees for this post include geophysics, archaeology, marine geology, oceanography, hydrography and related subjects. We would particularly welcome applications from people with experience of terrestrial geophysics in addition to experience of marine geophysics.

Wessex Archaeology's Coastal and Marine section is based at its head office in Salisbury, but in common with all Wessex Archaeology's investigations, a certain number of marine and coastal projects require staff to work away from the Salisbury base, sometimes for prolonged periods. In such cases, accommodation, travel and subsistence are covered by Wessex Archaeology as a matter of course. Additionally, marine and coastal investigations may require working outside the standard working day, including long and/or anti-social shifts, and weekends, for which time may be accrued as leave or paid.

Further details, including Job Descriptions, Person Specifications and Application Packs can be found at: http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies.html  or from the HR Officer on 01722 343412 or via [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

'Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity'

Denise Speirs
Human Resources Officer

Wessex Archaeology
Portway House, Old Sarum Park, Salisbury, Wilts SP4 6EB
Tel No:- +44 (0)1722 343412
Fax No:- +44 (0)1722 337562
Website: www.wessexarch.co.uk