How about "The Gods of the Copybook Headings"? Fred Lerner's email re Mrs Palin brought it to my mind.  However, he doesn't whinge about his Bank suspending payment when he was in Yokohama on his honeymoon journey, nor the loss he made on the purchase of land in Vancouver (SoM).

Yours, David

----- Original Message ----
From: Andrew Lycett <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 3 October, 2008 14:01:31
Subject: kipling and capitalism

Can someone please help get my brain into gear? I am struck by the fact that
Rudyard Kipling lived through the Great Crash of 1929. But did he ever write
anything about its effects, or otherwise explore the complexities of modern
capitalism? I know he sometimes used his stories to focus on business people
and their greed. Elsewhere he railed against governments and the burden of
taxes they imposed. He clearly had a some sense of the economy, for he
supported tariff reform and was wary about competition from countries such
as India. But what about a critique of the workings of the market?