From Roger Ayers,

Dear George.

I was unable to respond when you posed these questions but I am now
convalescing and have had the time to look at them, since I have also been
interested in the illustrations to Kipling's work.

I have a couple of dozen books of magazines in which Kipling's work appeared
between 1893 and 1908, mostly four or six months-worth bound together of the
Pall Mall Gazette, Pearsons, Windsor Magazine and the Idler.  In addition to
illustrated first printings of Kipling's verse (for which I bought them)
there are some of his stories and also many other illustrated stories by
other authors.

There is one Kipling poem in particular that demonstrates that the
illustrator, G. Montbard, worked without reference to Kipling. For "Soldier
an' Sailor Too" Montbard totally misunderstood that it was narrated by a
soldier on a troopship about the relationship between the Army and the Royal
Marines, since he depicts the narrator as a sailor on a warship and
illustrates the lines "We've fought 'em on troopers and fought 'em in dock
and drunk with 'em in between" with pictures of sailors and Marines
carousing together and then fighting each other.  Quite enough to make
Kipling liken illustrators to slugs and wish to exterminate them.

An interesting example of an illustrator asking Kipling for direction is in
Kipling's response of 31 Oct 1898 to an enquiry from L.Raven-Hill.
(Letters, Pinney, Vol 2) This well regarded illustrator wanted details of
how the three in Stalky & Co. tormented Sefton and Campbell in "The Moral
Reformers".  Kipling says that he deliberately omitted the details from the
story 'for moral and pious reasons' and refuses to provide them.  Raven-Hill
had to make do with a picture of a boy 'trussed for cock-fighting' taken
from the description in the text.

My own thoughts on 'The Gardener' can be read in the Kipling Journal No 308
( Dec 2003), also available on the on-line archive on the Kipling Society
website.   As for the illustrations on your website, I think that the way in
which the characters are depicted has a great deal more to do with an
illustrator's convention in portraying various forms of emotion so that the
reader, or possibly more importantly, someone skimming through a magazine
for sale in a newsagents, gets a quick impression of what the story might be
about.  A young man in uniform, a contrite woman on a chair and then the
woman looking shocked at a military cemetery - it says it all.  They were,
after all, commercial magazines and, apart from the change in fashion, I
found similar figures in similar poses showing similar emotions in the
magazines of 20 years before.

Roger Ayers